1. General information on race and health inequity:
- 2003 Institute of Medicine Report: Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care
- The Science of Equality Volume 1: Addressing Implicit Bias, Racial Anxiety, and Stereotype Threat in Education and Health Care
2. Minnesota statistics: Did you know Minnesota has one of the largest gaps in health between racial and ethnic groups even though Minnesota consistently ranks as one of the healthiest states in the country?
- Here's a primer on race and health equity in Minnesota: Advancing Health Equity in Minnesota
- Key findings from the 2016 Minnesota Health Equity of Care Report:
- African American and American Indian babies die in the first year of life at twice the rate of white babies. While infant mortality rates for all groups have declined, the disparity in rates has existed for over 20 years.
- American Indian, Hispanic/Latino, and African American youth have the highest rates of obesity.
- Intimate partner violence affects 11 to 24 percent of high school seniors, with the highest rates among American Indian, African American and Hispanic/Latino students.
- African American and Hispanic/Latino women in Minnesota are more likely to be diagnosed with later-stage breast cancer.
3. Steps toward action: To achieve Health Equity for all we must address the structural racism, within medicine as well as other institutions, and other factors that allow these disparities to exist.
- How to improve health equity at our own health care institutions: Creating Equity Reports: A Guide for Hospitals
- Steps you can take and questions you can ask to advance health equity in you hospital or clinic.
- Make a business case to hospital leadership to create an effective health equity infrastructure.
What other resources would be helpful as we work together toward health equity for all Minnesotans?
This is just the beginning. Our data team wants to hear from you about how to make this page most useful to our members and to the broader community. Email us at email@example.com with your ideas!